Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Natural Wonder of the World

I was so thankful that this last weekend was a long one, thank your Dr. Martin Luther! With the extra day off I made a quick trip up to Flagstaff and to my surprise the Grand Canyon! My co-pilot thankfully objected from any sneak peaks as we were driving up.  It was supposed to be taken in all at once, and for that I couldn't be more appreciative. The Grand Canyon is something more vast and beautiful than I can now or could then fully comprehend.  Stretching over its entirety of 277 miles is the almost fluorescent blue sky.  The contrast of the purple pink and red stained canyon to the cloudless sky was nothing short of a heavenly sight. No picture could fully capture or should capture the complexity of the canyon.  I noticed there was something serene happening as I was looking from behind the barred viewpoint.  It was relatively frigid and there were remnants of snow fall on the ground.  I saw no life other than the fellow visitors and large black birds. It's hard to believe that there are over 1500 plant, 355 bird, 89 mammal, 47 reptile, 9 amphibian and 17 fish species found in the park, as well as 4 Indian Reservations. Where were they all?  A somewhat strange encounter with such a life filled canyon only added to the mystery of it all.  Since the visit was an impromptu one every second looking below made me wish i had brought my tennis shoes! There is so much more to be explored hiking through the canyon, but hopefully none of the 47 reptiles. I now realize that after living in Arizona for most of my life yet never seeing the canyon has undoubtedly dubbed me worst Arizonan ever. Thankfully I no longer have to say that I've never seen the Canyon and turn my head in embarrassment. Next on the list is hiking to the ever talked about Havasupai Falls!












xoxo,
Kasondra

No comments:

Post a Comment